Saturday, September 21, 2013

Finding Joy

So, the whole point of this is to live my life more joyfully. Not that I'm not happy, because generally I am. But I want more joy. More inner peace. Less getting bogged down by the everyday hassles. Less distraction. More focus on what's really important.

I find myself at the end of the day laying in bed thinking, "OK, what can I post about being thankful for today?" Then I rack my brain for anything that might fit. So it's a step in the right direction. The next change I'm going to make, is to try to focus on my gifts/blessings throughout the day. I think that will give me more of the shift of focus I'm looking for.

Also, this week I'm going to focus on gratitude for my body. I know that sounds weird. Let me explain. I think I have a bit of a warped view about bodies. I see my body as a burden. Something to maintain. It needs to be cleaned, fed, exercised, taken to the doctor for checkups, and on and on and on. Just more on my list of things to do. (Really, I have to feed this thing three times a day FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE???) I'm pretty sure I could use some re-focus right there. So for this week, I'm going to start trying to appreciate and have gratitude for the fact that I have a body.

For starters:

25. Today I was working outside to create the pool deck of my dreams (it's already about 4 months in the making). I love running my fingers through the dirt. I love feeling the cool grittiness on my fingertips.

26. I'm glad I have fully functioning eyes. I love that I can see. Even the boring things, I'm really glad that I can see them. But I'm especially glad I can see the really cool things. Like the purple flowers that we have constantly blooming in our Florida yard. Like the little dimples that show up under Nat's eyes when she's crying, Like the smile that decorates Caleb's face when he see's Nat after 3 long hours at preschool. Like the sun creating an outline along the palm tree-lined horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment